|Business IT Support||BUSINESS IT SUPPORT||WHY US||HOME PC REPAIRS|
|Cutting Edge Solutions||Why Choose Us||Home Computer Repairs|
|Business IT Support||About Us||Networking|
|Managed IT Services||Client Testimonials||Antivirus|
|IT Outsourcing||Specials||Other Services|
|FREE Health Check||DIY Articles|
|Our Rates||Our Rates|
|DIY Articles||DIY ARTICLES||BUSINESS IT SUPPORT||HOME PC REPAIRS|
|How to enter Safe Mode||Cutting Edge Solutions||Home Computer Repairs|
|Tips for extending you laptop's battery life||Business IT Support||Networking|
|Defrag Your Computer||Managed IT Services||Antivirus|
|CHKDSK - check your hard disk for errors||IT Outsourcing||Other Services|
|Uninstall Unwanted Programs||FREE Health Check||DIY Articles|
|Internet Connection Issues||Our Rates||Our Rates|
|Contact Us||CONTACT US||BUSINESS IT SUPPORT||BUSINESS IT SUPPORT|
|Operation Hours||Cutting Edge Solutions||Home Computer Repairs|
|Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm||Business IT Support||Networking|
|Managed IT Services||Antivirus|
|Phone: 1300 266 743||IT Outsourcing||Other Services|
|Phone: (03) 9018 9434||Cutting Edge Solutions||DIY Articles|
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Our Rates||Our Rates|
- Here you will find a list of the most common problems you can fix yourself
Before defragmenting your computer there are a few things that you should do before hand. This guide will help you get the most from your computer.
When windows stores a file on your hard drive it puts the file where ever there is free space and not always in one piece. The file can be sorted over several physical locations and then can be slow to access due to the hard drive having to search all over the place to retrieve the one file. This becomes an issue as more and more files are stored like this, slowing down the whole system.
What Defragmentation does is move files around so that each file is one contiguous file on the hard disk. This helps speed up the system as it does not have to access all parts of the hard disk for the one file.
1. It is a good idea to have all of your important information backed up beforehand onto another hard drive, CD, DVD or other media.
2. Check the drive for errors using CHKDSK (guide can be found on our side menu) to scan and fix any errors on the drive
3. Close any programs that you have open, the defragmentation process often cant move files that are open so it is best to close anything you can
4. Make sure you have a constant source of power, for a laptop make sure that it is plugged into the wall as if the computer looses power it may cause damage to some of your data or operating system
5. Open the defragment program, this is done by going into the start menu then to programs, then to accessories, then to system tools and finally to disk defragmentation.
6. Click on the defragment button and the computer will begin the defragmentation process, allow the program to do its work it will take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours to complete
7. Once complete you can close the program and use your computer as normal